Lake Joint Effort
Joint replacement is an elective procedure that can dramatically improve your quality of life. At Our Lady of the Lake, we perform more than a thousand total joint surgeries each year, including knee, hip and shoulder replacements. This expertise, combined with our hospital's mission of compassionate care, led us to create a coordinated total joint program focused on:
- An enhanced, more consistent patient experience
- A built-in support system that includes your healthcare team, your family and other joint replacement patients
- Better physical outcomes
Lake Joint Effort is a comprehensive program that caters to your every joint replacement need, from pre-admission through rehabilitation. From the moment you are recommended for the program, our staff works with your primary care physician and orthopedic surgeon to coordinate the care you'll receive. Your surgery will be scheduled for a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. Throughout your stay, you will be seen by the same healthcare team, which may include a nurse, nurse assistant, social worker, physical therapist and occupational therapist. You'll go through rehabilitation in a group setting with the patients who had surgery the same day you did. Often, a spirit of "friendly competition" emerges, with patients urging each other on to meet their rehabilitation goals.
What's different about Lake Joint Effort?
Anxiety and uncertainty can come with any hospital stay, so we developed Lake Joint Effort to help ease concerns. Every detail is taken care of and coordinated for you, from insurance filing to hospital admission through discharge. After your physician or surgeon recommends you for our program, we'll call you to schedule an education class led by the program coordinator and other members of the Lake Joint Effort team. You'll attend the class with other patients who are scheduled for joint replacement surgery, and we'll take you through each step of the process, making sure to answer any questions you may have.
Lake Joint Effort also provides a number of measures to make your experience safer and more comfortable. We call these "the little things," but we know they can mean a lot. For example, our pre-operative, at-home antibacterial body wash significantly reduces your risk for infection.
Taking care of the details is all part of our focus on your needs, your experience and your total recovery.
What can I expect?
You can view an actual hour-long knee replacement surgery performed at Our Lady of the Lake and listen as the surgeon explains the procedure. We want your total joint replacement surgery to be a positive, rewarding experience. That's why our program is focused on wellness and rehabilitation. You're not sick when you come to us, just ready to improve your physical ability. Patients who have been a part of Lake Joint Effort consistently point to three benefits the program provides:
- Support: You get to know your entire healthcare team, who remain with you throughout your stay. A family member or friend will serve as your "coach," providing personal support and encouragement. Participating in a group rehabilitation setting also fosters the all-for-one atmosphere that's important to reaching your goals.
- New Friendships: Beginning with your education class, you'll meet others going through the same process as you. You'll see familiar faces as soon as you are admitted to the hospital, and many patients develop personal friendships that last beyond their stay. You'll also have the opportunity to catch up with former patients at periodic Lake Joint Effort reunion events.
- Results: Our patients consistently require shorter recovery periods and most are able to return home sooner than the average total joint replacement patient.
How do I take the next step?
If you're considering total joint replacement, Lake Joint Effort can provide you with the comprehensive, coordinated care that will make all the difference in your experience and recovery. To find out if the program is right for you, talk to your primary care doctor or orthopedic surgeon or call the Lake Joint Effort program coordinator at (225) 765-8302.
Watch Perry's story about how joint replacement surgery at Our Lady of the Lake changed his life.