Heart & Vascular Institute
Survive, Don’t Drive
If you think you are experiencing a heart attack, your first decision can save your life. Call 911 immediately. Do not attempt to drive yourself or a loved one to the hospital. Survive, don’t drive.
During a heart attack, every second counts. The longer the heart is deprived of oxygen and medical treatment delayed, the higher the risk of damage to heart muscle or death.
Symptoms of Heart Attack
- Driving yourself to the hospital not only risks delays in diagnosis and life-saving treatments, but you also risk endangering yourself and others should you lose consciousness behind the wheel.
- As soon as paramedics arrive, treatment begins, saving critical time and preventing damage to heart muscle.
- While en route to the hospital, your condition will be relayed to Our Lady of the Lake’s specialized heart alert team, who is able to prepare for your arrival – allowing you to bypass the Emergency Room and receive immediate treatment.
- We are a Cycle IV Chest Pain Accreditation hospital – the highest level achievable – which means the most advanced quality care for heart attacks in the region is available here.
- Our Lady of the Lake is the leader in treatment for heart attack patients with the fastest door-to-balloon treatment time – an average of 40 minutes compared to the national average of 90 – providing better outcomes for patients.
Know the symptoms of a heart attack so you are prepared:
- Chest pain
- Discomfort or pain in other areas, such as one or both arms, the neck, jaw, back or stomach
- Abdominal discomfort that may feel like heartburn
- Shortness of breath, nausea or lightheadedness
If you experience or witness any of these symptoms, call 911 immediately. The most important factor when treating a heart attack is how quickly treatment begins and not how quickly you can get to the hospital. Survive, don’t drive.
About the Heart and Vascular Institute
Our Lady of the Lake Heart & Vascular Institute is a destination for comprehensive cardiovascular care with state-of-the-art treatments and world-class specialists. As leaders in heart and vascular care in Louisiana, Our Lady of the Lake’s Heart & Vascular Institute and team of highly-specialized physicians use an integrated approach of personalized, compassionate care powered by groundbreaking research and the latest medical technology.
Specialty Centers & Services
- Heart Disease
- Heart Arrhythmias
- Heart Attack
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Chest Pain
- Cardiac Catheterization
- Beating Heart Bypass Surgery
- Endoscopic Vein Harvesting
- Advanced Stent Therapies
- Hybrid Operating Room
- Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation
- TAVR Program
- LARIATTM Procedure
- Women’s Heart Care