/SiteAssets/Images/FMOLHSBlankBanner.png

Health Information

Stoddard solvent poisoning
Bookmarks

Stoddard solvent poisoning

Print-Friendly  

Texsolve S poisoning; Varsol 1 poisoning

Stoddard solvent is a flammable, liquid chemical that smells like kerosene. Stoddard solvent poisoning occurs when someone swallows or touches this chemical.

This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.

I Would Like to Learn About:

  • Poisonous Ingredient

    Petroleum distillates

  • Where Found

    • Dry cleaning fluids
    • Paints
    • Paint thinner
    • Stoddard solvent (mineral spirits)
    • Toners used in copy machines

    Note: This list does not necessarily include all products containing Stoddard solvent.

  • Symptoms

    • Eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and throat
      • Burns in mouth
      • Severe throat pain
      • Severe pain or burning in the eyes, ears, nose, and mouth area
      • Vision loss
    • Stomach and intestines
      • Abdominal pain
      • Bloody stools
      • Burns in the esophagus
      • Nausea
      • Vomiting
    • Heart and blood
      • Rapid heartbeat
      • Collapse
      • Weakness
    • Lungs and airways
      • Breathing difficulty (severe)
      • Throat swelling
    • Nervous system
      • Burning sensations
      • Convulsions
      • Dizziness
      • Fever
      • Memory problems
      • Nervousness
      • Numbness in arms and legs
      • Unconsciousness
    • Skin
      • Burns
      • Irritation
      • Holes (necrosis) in the skin or underlying tissues
  • Home Care

    Seek immediate medical help. Do NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by poison control or a health care professional.

    If the chemical is on the skin or in the eyes, flush with lots of water for at least 15 minutes.

    If the chemical was swallowed, immediately give the person water or milk, unless instructed otherwise by a health care provider. Do NOT give water or milk if the patient is having symptoms (such as vomiting, convulsions, or a decreased level of alertness) that make it hard to swallow.

    If the person breathed in the poison, immediately move him or her to fresh air.

  • Before Calling Emergency

    Determine the following information:

    • Patient's age, weight, and condition
    • Name of product (ingredients and strength, if known)
    • Time it was swallowed
    • Amount swallowed
  • Poison Control

    The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.

    This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

    See: Poison control center - emergency number

  • What to Expect at the Emergency Room

    The health care provider will measure and monitor your vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. You may receive:

    • Breathing support
    • Fluids through a vein (by IV)
    • Flushing of the eyes with water (if poison touches the eyes)
    • Medicines to relieve pain
    • Skin washing with soap and water (if poison touches the skin)
    • Surgical removal of burned skin (skin debridement)
    • Tube through the mouth into the stomach to wash out the stomach (gastric lavage)
  • Outlook (Prognosis)

    How well you do depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment is received. The faster you get medical help, the better the chance for recovery.

    Recovery depends on how much damage there was to the lung.

Related Information

     

References

Mirkin DB. Benzene and related aromatic hydrocarbons. In: Shannon MW, Borron SW, Burns MJ, eds. Haddad and Winchester's Clinical Management of Poisoning and Drug Overdose. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2007:chap 94.

BACK TO TOP 

Review Date: 2/28/2012  

Reviewed By: Eric Perez, MD, St. Luke's / Roosevelt Hospital Center, NY, NY, and Pegasus Emergency Group (Meadowlands and Hunterdon Medical Centers), NJ. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M. Health Solutions, Ebix, Inc.

The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.

adam.com

 
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.