/SiteAssets/Images/FMOLHSBlankBanner.png

Health Information

Shampoo - swallowing
Bookmarks

Shampoo - swallowing

Print-Friendly  

Swallowing shampoo

Shampoo is a liquid used to clean the scalp and hair. This article describes the effects of swallowing a liquid shampoo.

This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.

I Would Like to Learn About:

  • Where Found

    • Various liquid shampoos
  • Symptoms

    • Vomiting
    • Diarrhea
  • Home Care

    Shampoo is considered relatively nontoxic (nonpoisonous). If an allergic reaction occurs, seek immediate medical help.

    Call poison control for further information.

  • Before Calling Emergency

    Determine the following information:

    • The patient's age, weight, and condition
    • The name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
    • The time it was swallowed
    • The amount swallowed
  • Poison Control

    The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.

    This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

    Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.

    See: Poison control center - emergency number

  • What to Expect at the Emergency Room

    An emergency room visit may not be necessary.

    If a visit takes place, the health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Blood and urine tests will be done. The patient may receive:

    • Fluids through a vein (IV)
    • Medicines to treat symptoms
  • Outlook (Prognosis)

    Swallowing shampoo is usually not poisonous. Patients usually make a full recovery.

Related Information

     

BACK TO TOP 

Review Date: 8/3/2011  

Reviewed By: Eric Perez, MD, Department of Emergency Medicine, St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.

The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.

adam.com

 
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.