To change your dressings, you will need:
- Sterile gloves
- A cleaning solution (such aschlorhexidine) in a single-use small applicator
- 2 special sponges or wipes that contain a cleaning agent such as chlorhexidine
- A special patch, called a Biopatch
- A clear barrier bandage, either Tegaderm or Covaderm
- 3 pieces of 1-inch wide tape, 4 inches long (tear one of the pieces in half lengthwise)
You will change your dressings in a sterile (very clean) way. Follow these steps:
- Wash your hands for 30 seconds with soap and water. Be sure to wash between your fingers and under your nails.
- Dry with a clean paper towel.
- Set up your supplies on a clean surface on a new paper towel.
- Loosen the edge of the old dressing.
- Put on a pair of clean gloves.
Follow these steps to remove the dressing and check your skin
- Gently peel off the old dressing and Biopatch. Do not pull or touch the catheter where it comes out of your arm.
- Throw away the old dressing and gloves.
- Wash your hands and then put on a pair of sterile gloves.
- Check your skin for redness, swelling, or any bleeding or other drainage around the catheter.
You will then clean the area and catheter.
- Use one special wipe to hold the catheter where it comes out of your arm. Then use the other wipe to clean the catheter, slowly working away from where it comes out of your arm.
- Clean the skin around the site with the sponge and cleaning solution for 30 seconds.
- Let air dry the area after you clean it.
You will then place a new dressing.
- Place the new Biopatch over the area where the catheter enters your skin. Keep the grid side up and the white side touching your skin.
- If you have been told to do so, apply a skin prep where the edges of the dressing will be.
- Coil the catheter (this is not possible with all catheters).
- Peel the backing from the clear plastic bandage (Tegaderm or Covaderm) and place the bandage over the catheter.
You will then tape the catheter to help secure it.
- Place 1 piece of the 1-inch tape over the catheter at the edge of the clear plastic bandage.
- Place another piece of the tape around the catheter in a butterfly pattern.
- Place the third piece of tape over the butterfly.
Throw away the gloves and wash your hands when you are done. Write down the date you changed your dressing.