/SiteAssets/Images/FMOLHSBlankBanner.png

Health Information

Jewelry cleaners
Bookmarks

Jewelry cleaners

Print-Friendly  

This article discusses the harmful effects that can occur from swallowing jewelry cleaner or breathing in its fumes.

This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.

  • Ammonia
  • Corrosive alkali
  • Detergent
  • Soap

I Would Like to Learn About:

  • Poisonous Ingredient

    • Ammonia
    • Corrosive alkali
    • Detergent
    • Soap
  • Where Found

    Jewelry cleaners and polishes are sold under various brand names. Some include:

    • Goddard's Jewelry Cleaner
    • Goddard's Silver Dip
    • Hagerty Jewelry Cleaner
    • Weiman Silver Polish
    • Wright Silver Cream

    Note: This list may not be all-inclusive.

  • Symptoms

    • Airways and lungs
      • Breathing difficulty (from breathing in chemicals)
      • Throat swelling (may also cause breathing difficulty)
    • Eyes, ears, nose, and throat
      • Severe pain in the throat
      • Severe pain or burning in the nose, eyes, ears, lips, or tongue
      • Vision loss
    • Gastrointestinal tract
      • Abdominal pain - severe
      • Bloody stools
      • Burns and possible holes of the esophagus (food pipe)
      • Vomiting, possibly with blood
    • Heart and blood
      • Collapse
      • Low blood pressure -- develops rapidly
      • Severe change in blood acid level -- leads to organ damage
    • Skin
      • Burns
      • Holes in the skin or underlying tissues
      • Irritation
  • Home Care

    Seek immediate medical help. Do NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by poison control or a health care professional.

    If the chemical is on the skin or in the eyes, flush with lots of water for at least 15 minutes.

    If the chemical was swallowed, immediately give the person water or milk, unless instructed otherwise by a health care provider.

  • Before Calling Emergency

    Determine the following information:

    • The patient's age, weight, and condition
    • The name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
    • The time it was swallowed
    • The amount swallowed
  • Poison Control

    The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.

    This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

    Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.

    See: Poison control center - emergency number

  • What to Expect at the Emergency Room

    The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. The patient may receive:

    • Breathing tube
    • Bronchoscopy -- camera down the throat to see burns in the airways and lungs
    • Endoscopy -- camera down the throat to see burns in the esophagus and the stomach
    • Fluids through a vein (IV)
    • Medicines to treat pain
    • Oxygen
    • Surgical removal of burned skin (skin debridement)
    • Washing of the skin (irrigation) -- perhaps every few hours for several days
  • Outlook (Prognosis)

    How well a patient does depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment was received. The faster a patient gets medical help, the better the chance for recovery.

    Jewelry cleaner can cause severe burns to the inside of the gastrointestinal tract. Extensive damage to the mouth, throat, eyes, lungs, esophagus, nose, and stomach are possible. The ultimate outcome depends on the extent of this damage. Damage continues to occur to the esophagus and stomach for several weeks after the poison was swallowed, and death may occur as long as a month later.

Related Information

     

References

Wax PM, Yarema M. Corrosives. In: Shannon MW, Borron SW, Burns MJ, eds. Haddad and Winchester's Clinical Management of Poisoning and Drug Overdose. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2007:chap 98.

BACK TO TOP 

Review Date: 2/28/2012  

Reviewed By: Eric Perez, MD, St. Luke's / Roosevelt Hospital Center, NY, NY, and Pegasus Emergency Group (Meadowlands and Hunterdon Medical Centers), NJ. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M. Health Solutions, Ebix, Inc.

The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.

adam.com

 
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.