Is joint replacement the best treatment for me right now? What other treatments should I think about?
- How well does this surgery work for someone my age and with any of the medical problems I may have?
- Will I be able to walk without pain? How far?
- Will I be able to do other activities, such as golf, swimming, tennis, or hiking? When can I do them?
Is there anything that I can do before the surgery so it will be more successful for me?
- Are there exercises I should do to make my muscles stronger?
- Can I learn to use crutches or a walker before I have the surgery?
- Do I need to lose weight before surgery?
- Where can I get help quitting cigarettes or not drinking alcohol, if I need to?
How can I get my home ready before I even go to the hospital?
- How much help will I need when I come home? Will I be able to get out of bed?
- How can I make my home safer for me?
- How can I make my home so it is easier to get around and do things?
How can I make it easier for myself in the bathroom and shower?
- What type of supplies will I need when I get home?
- Do I need to rearrange my home?
- What should I do if there are steps that go to my bedroom or bathroom?
- Do I need a hospital bed?
- Do I need to go to a rehabilitation facility?
What are the risks or complications of the surgery?
- What can I do before surgery to make the risks lower?
- For which of my medical problems (diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure) do I need to see my doctor?
Will I need a blood transfusion during or after the surgery? Isn't there a way of saving my own blood before the surgery so it can be used during the surgery?
What will the surgery and my stay in the hospital be like?
- How long will the surgery last?
- What type of anesthesia will be used? Are there choices to consider?
- Will I be in a lot of pain after surgery? What will be done to relieve the pain?
- How soon will I be getting up and moving around?
- How do I get to the bathroom after surgery? Would I have a catheter in my bladder?
- Will I have physical therapy in the hospital?
- What other types of treatment or therapy will I have at the hospital?
- How long do I need to be in the hospital?
Will I be able to walk when I leave the hospital? Will I be able to go home after being in the hospital, or will I need to go somewhere else to recover more?
Do I need to stop taking any medicines before my surgery?
- Aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), or other arthritis drugs?
- Vitamins, minerals, herbs, and supplements?
- Other prescription drugs that my other doctors may have given me?
What should I do the night before my surgery?
- When do I need to stop eating or drinking?
- What medicines should I take the day of surgery?
- When do I need to be at the hospital?
- What should I bring with me to the hospital?