If you have any questions or concerns about intimacy, talk to your health care provider.
- It may not be easy to talk about such private things, but there may be a treatment that could make it better.
- If you find it hard to talk to your heart doctor about these topics, talk to your primary care provider.
If you are depressed, anxious, or afraid, medicine or talk therapy may help. Classes in lifestyle change, stress management, or therapy may help you, family members, and partners.
If the problem is caused by side effects of medicine you are taking, that medicine may be adjusted, changed, or another medicine added.
Men who have trouble getting or keeping an erection may be prescribed a medicine to treat this.
- These include medicines like sildenafil (Viagra), vardenafil (Levitra), and tadalafil (Cialis).
- These may not be safe if you are taking other medicine. Do not take these medicines if you are taking medicines called nitroglycerin or nitrates.
- Do not buy these through the mail or another doctor who does not know your full health history. To get the right prescription, talk to the health care provider who knows your health history and all the medicines you take.