What is the prostate gland?
- Where is it in my body?
- What does the prostate gland do?
What causes the prostate gland to enlarge? Do many other men have prostate problems? How do I know my problem is not prostate cancer?
What are the symptoms of an enlarged prostate?
- Will these symptoms get worse? How quickly?
- Can any of these symptoms be harmful or dangerous?
What tests should I have?
How can I treat my symptoms at home?
- Is it okay to drink alcohol? How about coffee and other drinks with caffeine?
- How much fluid should I drink during the day?
- Are there medicines that may make my symptoms worse?
- Are there exercises that can help with my symptoms?
- What can I do so that I do not wake up at night as much?
I have heard there are different herbs and supplements that may improve my symptoms? Is this true? Are these herbs or supplements safe to use?
What medicines may help?
- Are there different types? How are they different?
- Will they make my symptoms go away completely?
- Does their benefit wear off over time?
- What side effects should I look for?
Questions to ask when thinking about having surgery for an enlarged prostate?
- Have I tried all the different safe treatments and medicines that may help?
- How quickly will my symptoms get worse if I do not have surgery?
- What are the serious medical problems that can happen if I do not have surgery?
- If I do not have surgery now, does that make having surgery later less effective or more dangerous?
What are the different types of surgery that I can have?
- Are there surgeries that are better for my situation?
- Will I ever need another surgery for a large prostate? Does one kind of surgery help for longer?
- What are the side effects of the different surgeries? Is one surgery more likely to cause problems with erections? With urinary incontinence?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital after the surgeries? How long will it take to recover?
- Is there anything I can do before surgery to make recovery easier?