You can eat or drink only things that are liquid. You may have these foods and drinks:
- Fruit juices, including nectars and juices with pulp
- Butter, margarine, oil, cream, custard, and pudding
- Plain ice cream, frozen yogurt, and sherbet.
- Fruit ices and popsicles
- Sugar, honey, and syrups
- Soup broth (bouillon, consommé, and strained cream soups -- but NO solids)
- Sodas, such as ginger ale and Sprite
- Gelatin (Jell-O)
- Boost, Ensure, Resource, Sustacal. and other liquid supplements
- Tea or coffee with cream or milk and sugar or honey
Ask your doctor if you can include these foods in your full liquid diet:
- Cooked, refined cereals, such as Cream of Wheat, cream of rice, oatmeal, grits, or farina
- Strained meats, like the ones in baby food
- Potatoes pureed in soup
Do NOT eat any kind of cheese, fruit (fresh, frozen, or canned), meat, and cereals that are not on your “okay” list.
Also, do NOT eat raw or cooked vegetables. And, do NOT eat ice cream or other frozen desserts that have any solids in them or on top – things like nuts, chocolate chips, and pieces of cookies.
Try having a mix of 5 to 7 of the foods you can eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Liquid foods do NOT include “mashed” foods, such as mashed potato or avocado.