/SiteAssets/Images/FMOLHSBlankBanner.png

Health Information

Clinitest tablets poisoning
Bookmarks

Clinitest tablets poisoning

Print-Friendly  

Urine sugar reagent poisoning; Anhydrous Benedict's reagent poisoning

Clinitest poisoning occurs from swallowing tablets used to test how much blood sugar (glucose) is in a person's urine.

Doctors used to use these tablets to determine how well a person's diabetes was being controlled. These tablets are rarely used today. They are not meant to be swallowed but could be taken by accident since they look like a prescription pill.

This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.

I Would Like to Learn About:

  • Poisonous Ingredient

    • Copper sulfate
    • Citric acid
    • Sodium hydroxide
    • Sodium carbonate
  • Where Found

    The poisonous ingredients are found in Clinitest tablets.

    Note: This list may not be all-inclusive.

  • Symptoms

    • Blood in urine
    • Burns and burning pain in the mouth and throat
    • Collapse
    • Convulsions
    • Diarrhea, may be watery or bloody
    • Low blood pressure
    • No urine output
    • Pain during a bowel movement (passing stool)
    • Severe abdominal pain
    • Throat swelling (causes breathing trouble)
    • Vomiting
  • Home Care

    This type of poisoning requires immediate medical help.

    Do NOT make a person throw up. (They may do so on their own.)

    If the chemical is on the skin or in the eyes, flush with lots of water for at least 15 minutes.

    If the chemical was swallowed, immediately give the person water or orange juice. Do NOT give water if the patient is vomiting or has a decreased level of alertness.

  • Before Calling Emergency

    Determine the following information:

    • Patient's age, weight, and condition
    • The name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
    • When it was swallowed
    • The amount swallowed
  • Poison Control

    The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.

    This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

    See: Poison control center - emergency number

  • What to Expect at the Emergency Room

    The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. The patient may receive:

    • Breathing support, including breathing tube
    • Bronchoscopy -- camera down the throat to see burns in the airways and lungs
    • Endoscopy -- camera down the throat to see burns in the esophagus and the stomach
    • Fluids through a vein (IV)
    • Medications to treat severe pain
  • Outlook (Prognosis)

    How well you do depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment is received. The faster you get medical help, the better the chance for recovery.

    Extensive damage to the mouth, throat, eyes, lungs, esophagus, nose, and stomach are possible. The ultimate outcome depends on the extent of this damage. Damage continues to occur to the esophagus and stomach for several weeks after the poison was swallowed. Death is possible.

Related Information

     

References

Wax PM, Yarema M. Corrosives. In: Shannon MW, Borron SW, Burns MJ, eds. Haddad and Winchester's Clinical Management of Poisoning and Drug Overdose. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2007:chap 98.

BACK TO TOP 

Review Date: 2/2/2012  

Reviewed By: Eric Perez, MD, St. Luke's / Roosevelt Hospital Center, NY, NY, and Pegasus Emergency Group (Meadowlands and Hunterdon Medical Centers), NJ. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.

The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.

adam.com

 
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.