Do not drink any alcohol. Your doctor can help you stop drinking.
Limit salt in your diet.
- Ask your doctor which foods you should avoid. Your doctor or nutritionist can give you a low-salt diet.
- Learn to read labels on cans and packaged foods to avoid salt.
- Don't add salt to your foods or use it in cooking. Use herbs or spices to add flavor to your foods.
Ask your doctor before taking any other medicines, vitamins, herbs, or supplements that you buy at the store. This includes acetaminophen (Tylenol), cold medicines, aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), naproxen (Aleve), and others.
Ask your doctor if you need shots or vaccines for hepatitis A, hepatitis B, lung infections, and the flu.
You will need to see your doctor for regular follow-up visits. Make sure you go to these visits so your doctor can check your condition.
Other tips for caring for your liver are:
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Keep your weight at a healthy level.
- Try to avoid becoming constipated.
- Get enough exercise and rest.
- Try to reduce your stress.