Diabetes & Nutrition Center
Our Lady of the Lake's Diabetes and Nutrition Center provides diabetes self-management training and medical nutrition therapy for people with diabetes or any other nutrition-related medical diagnosis, such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure or weight management.
Working closely with the referring physician, our team of certified diabetes educators, registered nurses, registered dietitians and exercise physiologists provide education and training to develop a treatment plan that fits your lifestyle.
The Diabetes and Nutrition Center has been awarded recognition by the American Diabetes Association in accordance with the national standards for quality diabetes patient education programs.
Diabetes and Nutrition Center Services
Treatment is available for type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes and gestational diabetes. Our services include:
- Diabetes self-management training - Whether newly diagnosed or diagnosed years ago, our comprehensive team provides education and ongoing support so that patients can have a better understanding of how to live with diabetes. We offer individual and group appointments in order to provide cost-effective, high-quality self-management training. Group sessions are either one full day or two half-days.
- Medical nutrition therapy - Registered dietitians are available to provide individual medical nutrition therapy for people with nutrition-related health problems. This outpatient service provides an opportunity to outline a nutrition program that encourages long-term lifestyle changes to meet health goals.
- Diabetes education and awareness group - Our Lady of the Lake offers two support groups for our diabetes patients:
- In Baton Rouge, we offer a monthly diabetes support group that meets the second Tuesday of each month in the Our Lady of the Lake auditorium from 6 - 7 pm.
- In Gonzales, we offer a diabetes support group that meets the first Tuesday of each quarter in the St. Elizabeth Hospital auditorium from 6 - 7 pm.
The diabetes self-management training and medical nutrition therapy programs require a referral from your doctor. For information on how to obtain a referral, please contact our office at (225) 765-8020.
Most insurance companies cover the cost of these programs. Our pre-certification nurse will verify insurance benefits; individuals are also encouraged to call their insurance company prior to enrolling.
Doctors may make outpatient referrals by calling (225) 765-8020 or by faxing written orders to (225) 765-6002. Inpatient referrals are made by writing an order on the patient's medical chart. Referred individuals will be contacted by our staff to arrange appointments.
7777 Hennessy Boulevard
Our Lady of the Lake
Medical Plaza, Suite 2003-B
Baton Rouge, LA 70808
Monday - Friday, 7:30 am - 4 pm