10 Successful Ways to Maintain Healthy Holiday Eating 11/21/2012
Dr. Brent W. Allain, Jr., M.D., Bariatric Surgeon, offers the following tips to maintain successful weight loss during the holidays.
Eating healthy during the holidays is a major challenge for most of us, including those who have had bariatric surgery.
The holiday season and sugar-laden, high calorie treats go hand in hand, making maintaining healthy weight loss difficult. Many people overindulge this time of year, and an average weight gain of five to ten pounds between Thanksgiving and New Year's is not uncommon.
Here are 10 simple tips for eating healthy while enjoying this holiday season:
1. Don't arrive to holiday parties hungry.
2. Choose to eat a protein (turkey, ham, etc.) first.
3. Avoid the temptation to taste everything that is served and remember to monitor portion sizes.
4. Avoid mindless snacking and socialize away from the buffet or kitchen.
5. If possible, sit down and chew your food slowly so that you may savor every bite.
6. Avoid high-calorie beverages such as egg nog and minimize alcohol intake.
7. Adapt some of your favorite holiday recipes to include Equal or Splenda in place of sugar.
8. Donate excess leftovers to local homeless shelters or send them home with family or friends.
9. Stay active and exercise (walk the neighborhood, touch football games with the family, dancing, etc.).
10. Remember that the holidays are about reconnecting with family and friends and NOT about food.
Don't wait until the start of the new year to begin a resolution of eating healthier and exercising regularly. Make the decision now and remember that this holiday season should be one of balance and moderation.
May your holidays be merry and bright, and filled with abundant joy and cheer!
To learn more about Our Lady of the Lake's weight loss options, including bariatric surgery through the Surgeons Group of Baton Rouge, please visit ololweightloss.com.